You will collaborate on developing your animated film or series with a seasoned veteran of the animation industry in the form of the director of the film The Boxtrolls, Anthony Stacchi (tbc) of the LAIKA studio, who will act as supervisor (tbc).
The aim of the Story Lab is to introduce producers and their creative teams to the process of story development by drawing on the practice and experience of the invited guest. The Story Lab is designed for seven creative teams of two–three artists.
The creative teams will be able to further develop their projects with the Character Design Lab.
- Storytelling lectures by an accomplished animation professional
- Professional supervision and consulting of your projects
- Team collaboration with the supervisor
- Storyboard student available to each team
- Follow up online project consulting with a supervisor after the residential lab
- Follow up presentation to an international expert panel (distributors, producers…)
HOW IT WORKS
The residential workshop is based on team work of small groups of participants. Each will be led by an internationally recognised and experienced supervisor and will also include lectures and one-on-one consultations with the guest supervisor.
Teams will have a storyboarding student available to help with boarding story ideas.
Following the residential workshops online consultation with the supervisor will take place as required.
After the residential workshops and subsequent consultations with the supervisor, projects will be presented for feedback to a three-member international expert panel composed of producers and distributors.
Capacity of the lab is maximum of 7 projects. For each project we invite 2 – 3 member teams.
- Portfolio – expertise and experience in the field
- Priority given to animation artists
- Motivational letter
Emphasis on career motivation and vision
- Own project
Participants’ involvement is conditional on their having a project of their own
- Own creative team
Teams of at least 2 or 3 members/story artists will receive priority
- Participation in both Story & Art labs
BIF 16 – The Art of Storytelling, Anthony Stacchi, Director, LAIKA
SUMMER 2017 with Mike Cachuela (PIXAR, LAIKA, DW)
The Act of Sharing in Story Development
SUMMER 2016 with John Nevarez (PIXAR, SONY)